Friday, August 1, 2008

Dial-up Dilemma

I am probably the last person in the world to live in the world of dial up internet service. This is not by choice.

We moved last year. It is a wonderful 107 year old house on two acres out in the country. My boys absolutely love it. I do too. To be the talkative and social person that I am, I surprisingly like not having neighbors. We have “country neighbors”, there if you need them. The cattle farmer that owns the land behind us is wonderful. His son farms with him. They ride through the fields and if they see us, they will stop and talk. They are there if we need them and wonderful people. They identify snakes for this city girl, and even don’t laugh at me when I want to watch them cut and bale hay. They even bring me produce!

It takes some getting used to, living in an old house. Nothing is level. But that’s okay, it’s called character. The darkness out here surprised me too. The first night in the house I looked outside and could see nothing-pitch black. The power company has a light out there now. Had to have some light. We do live on a busy street though. Half the city uses it as a shortcut to the beach. We have hopes that the new bypass will cut down the traffic.

All that said, we are back to the dial up dilemma. We have no DSL, no broadband, no road runner, no option! We have satellite TV service, but I can’t bring myself to pay for internet through them. It is highway robbery. There is another satellite internet service I am looking into, so we will see.

Those that have left the dial up world for greener pastures, you forget all the issues:

I have taken some great pictures with the new camera. I tried to upload one onto the blog, and the internet crashed. I tried to email a picture, and it was going to take 30 minutes to upload the picture!

No YouTube. Don’t even try to send me a funny/serious/heart warming video. I can’t watch it.

And forget about looking at “fancy” websites. I can never get them loaded.

All this is funny, but it is seriously frustrating when I need to download articles or MP3 files for homeschooling. I just can’t do it. We have downloaded some files in the night, since it ties up my phone line and takes 2 hours to do.

So, do you have any advice…..what other options do I have? Really, tell me.

1 comment:

Mrs. Jones said...

Send the pictures to me, tell me exactly where you want them, and I'll upload them onto blogger.