Saturday, August 16, 2008

What a Wonderful World



Our local Christian radio station sponsored a free event last night. It was called "What a wonderful world". It was a lecture on Creation and Evolution. I thought that it would be a good outing for my oldest son and me.

We have been blessed in our home to have the radio dramas made by Vision Forum. These dramas are called Jonathan Park. It is a series of audio adventures about a boy whose dad is a Christian "Indiana Jones". These have taught us a lot about Creation science and the false ideas of evolution. My sons both love to listen to them. We have to ration out the programs, or they would listen all day long. I thought that taking my oldest son to hear the lecture would be good reinforcement of what he has learned.

We arrived early and found seats. As we were sitting down, two women came and sat behind us and began talking to each other. They were sisters. One had brought the other to hear the information, kicking and screaming. I think the one sister is what would be called a "Theistic Evolutionist", basically she thought that God created through evolution. The other sister was atheist or agnostic and a devout evolutionist. As they began talking, I could hear them trying to find a concordance in the pew Bible so they could find verses on evolution. They wanted to know how evolution fit into the Bible. I wondered if I should try and talk to them. I knew this might get very interesting.

As the speaker began, I could hear the one sister mumbling and talking about all the lies the speaker was telling. My son leaned over and said, "Mom, I think that woman thinks that evolution is true." I told him that she did.

I noticed that her body language changed throughout the night. Early in the evening, she laid back in the pew and had her arms crossed, clearly angry. Later, she began jotting down the "lies" he was telling. At the end, she was leaning forward, listening intently. At the end, when the speaker took questions, I was ready to witness a showdown.

We left as he was taking questions, she had not asked anything or challenged him yet.

I will wonder about these women. Did they hear the truth, or did they close their hearts because of preconceived notions? Should I have talked them before, or were they not ready? What happened after I left? Did they realize that it is important that they believe the truth?

We don't realize how this certain belief invades our everyday choices. We don't realize how it has invaded and changed society. I, for one, will make sure that my children know the truth, and can defend it.

When we left the event, I asked my son, "What did you learn?" He said, "I learned more about evolution and how it can not be true. I learned that there are people that would rather believe in that than have to answer to God, like that woman. That is sad."

"Always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you." 1 Peter 3:15

1 comment:

Lois said...

Thank you for sharing Lisa. You should be very proud of your son! God has blessed you,