Saturday, August 9, 2008

Seems like old times

I don’t know if any of you are on facebook or not. It is the social networking site that is much safer than the other site that was popular before. A couple of my friends at church are on it, and told me about it. Well, since I am trying to move into the 21st century and all, you know with a blog and a digital camera, I decided to give it a try.

Well, it is addicting. It is fun, and hard to describe unless you get on there. You can control who has access to your information by making “friends”. A lot of my “friends” are the youth from my church. My husband works with the youth and a lot of the parents are friends of mine. They don’t email anymore, they write on your “facebook wall.” And of course, the goal for the youth is to get a lot of friends.

It is also interesting, too. I contacted a friend from my childhood. We were friends in preschool, elementary school, middle school, and part of high school until I moved during my sophomore year. I remember going home from school with her in Kindergarten, sleepovers, and birthday parties. Every picture from my childhood birthday parties had her in it. And yet, I have not really had contact with her in about 20 years-- can I be that old??

It brings back memories from middle school, and who wants to remember middle school. I can close my eyes and be that girl again, with all those feelings coming like it was yesterday. Middle school is not fun for a smart, overweight, and shy girl. It is a hard time when you gain new friends, but lose those from childhood. A time when being popular and outside appearances mean more to people than values and feelings. And then it happens again in high school. I don’t miss those days.

But today, am I much different? Yes and no.

No, I am the same nerdy girl with the constant battle with my weight. I still feel shy at times, and could easily hide out in my house and not contact people. I want to be liked. Battles that rage 20 years later.

Yes, in that I am comfortable with being who God created me to be. He made me with a love for learning. He created a passion in me for His Word. He opened my mouth for me to use it for Him. He created me to be a wife and mother, to care for the gifts He has given me- my husband and my children. I am fearfully and wonderfully made, and my soul rejoices in that! (Psalm 139) I know now to believe God and His Word about who I am, and not my own feelings. (Psalm 146:5-6)

Lessons, they never end.

I did get rid of the perm.

No comments: