Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I had a date!!

I had a date today. And it was a hot one, not as much heat as humidity though. We went to the movies. My date had good manners and even shared his popcorn and drink with me. He didn’t even mind holding my hand while we were walking, very impressive for an eight year old boy.

I took my oldest son to see a movie today, just the two of us. The movie was a little too adventurous for my younger son, he gets scared very easily, and he stayed with my parents. As we were walking into the theater, I noticed how tall my son is getting. I am 5’4”, and he comes up to my shoulder. Pretty tall for an eight year old, I think in the next two years he will catch up to me. He was excited to be at the theater and then to know that he could get popcorn and a drink!! He could hardly wait for the movie to start.

As we sat in the theater, we were talking about different things before the movie started. We were the only people in the theater until the previews started. All sorts of things were going through my mind…happy thoughts, sad thoughts, and lots of things in between.

I was happy to be with him. We don’t often have times with just the two of us. It was a time when I could just enjoy him, and I did. I enjoyed that he would still hold my hand walking in the mall. I enjoyed that he would talk to me and ask me lots of questions, as always! I enjoyed looking at him and seeing the man he will someday be. I almost told him that he was a good date, but he still thinks that kind of stuff is yucky and I didn’t want to spoil it!

I was sad, too. I was seeing the man that he will someday be. We are working so hard during these years that God gives us with him, to help him be the man that God created him to be. It is a little bittersweet to get a glimpse of it though.

I even thought of Proverbs 31. This proverb, in the original language, is an acrostic poem. Lemuel’s mother taught it to him to help him remember the traits of a godly wife. I am sure they are God inspired, or they would not appear in our Scripture. What kind of “words of wisdom” will my sons remember from me? I hope they will remember the Word of the Lord that I try to teach them. I hope they will remember that I tried to daily seek Him and His will for my life. I hope they will see me strive to be a godly wife and mother. I hope they will look for this in their future wives.

A lot of thinking for a dark movie theater.

When we got to my parents to pick up my other son, my dad was not there, he had gone to the store. My mom was inside with my younger son and my nephew. With my dad’s car missing, my son said, “I better get in to help Gi, she will have her hands full in there!” I told him that I think she could handle it, but it blessed my heart that he wanted to help.

It was a good day. It was a great date. I can’t wait for the next one.

3 comments:

Wendy Pope said...

Hi Lisa
I had no idea that you were a blogger. It is a bloggy small world.

Thanks for posting and letting me know where to find you.

Glad you had a great date!

Wendy

Faith said...

This is SOOOO sweet! What a special day the two of you shared!

Mrs. Jones said...

I've got a little TN hillbilly waiting for big L!!!!! Does that "man that he will become" include something with cash flow?