Monday, July 7, 2008

Myrtle Beach Days

"Myrtle Beach days, we’ll have some fun in the waves"………..Beach music, do you know it?? I do. My parents love beach music. They grew up with it. They dance to it and taught my sister and I how to dance to it. They have taught it to my sons, the music, not the dancing….yet. My oldest can hear a song start and tell you if it is beach music. His Poppi has trained him well.

If you are not from the South, let the education begin. Beach music has its home in the state of South Carolina. In fact, the dance of beach music, the Shag, is the state dance of South Carolina. It is a laid back dance with a simple count. Those that can do it well make it look effortless. My attempt at it is not pretty, but I know enough to dance with my dad. My sister does much better, she is the coordinated one. My guess is she will teach her son soon, he is 3. But the music is fun, Southern rythym and blues with a beat that you can count. The official home of the music and the dance is the Ocean Drive section of North Myrtle Beach. That brings me to my story……

My husband was at Youth Camp last week with the Youth group from our church. He spent the week in the barracks with teenage boys. My sons and I spent the week with my parents at their vacation house at the beach. My sons love their dad. The constant question is “What time will Daddy be home?”. I knew better than to stay home with Daddy not here. We went where they could be distracted.

My sons love the beach, the beach house, the golf cart, the pool, the whole experience. My mom and dad intentionally bought the house for childhood memories for my children. They know how hard it is to raise a family on one income, and they wanted us to be able to take vacations.

My husband and I had this conversation last week about raising children. The memories we are making for them. I know now that we did not have it easy growing up, but I don’t remember that. I have lots of memories of time spent with my family. Most of my memories involve the church and how my parents served there. That is what I remember, not the little budget for groceries. That is what we want for our children.

My children are storing memories for their futures. A future that I may not be there for. What are the memories we are giving them? What are the memories you are making for your family? I know that my children will remember that they were loved. They had a Gi and Poppi that loved to spend time with them. An Aunt Amy that would act silly with them and let them ride her like a horse. An Uncle Scott that would do sparklers with them and sit in the sand to watch fireworks. A cousin that doesn’t know he is a cousin, he thinks they are his brothers. I want them to remember that we love each other because God loved us and showed us how to love.

"………I don’t care what the West Coast says, love those Myrtle Beach days."

1 comment:

Mrs. Jones said...

My heart beats faster to think of our family vacations!!! You & Sandy will always be in those memories...along with the hurricane! We'll be heading to Holston Beach in the fall...can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love you much