Monday, June 30, 2008

CLINK!

CLINK, Clink, clink, clink, clink.

This was the sound of my Sunday. It is actually a sound I look forward to, and I don’t know if anyone else even notices it. The sound has been a favorite of mine since childhood, but it has changed through the years. It is the sound of the unity, obedience, and holiness of a church. Listen with me……

As a child, I attended a small church. My memories of childhood are all church memories. Spending time with other families at church, summer church activities, children’s choir and youth group were all wonderful memories for me. I don’t know if the sound meant much to me before the age of twelve. But at the age of twelve, the way I saw things changed. I could participate in the unity of the church. The sound was loud then. CLINK, CLINK, CLINK.

After we married, my husband and I attended a different church. I went many years without hearing the sound at this church. We were part of a very large church. And in obedience to the Lord’s command, the sound was heard there, too. But due to logistical issues, it was not heard often.

We are members of a different church now. The sound changed at this church, and I will explain it later. It is a Clink, clink, c l i n k . Our pastor says you can see the heart of the church through the baptisms, but you can see the holiness of the church through the observance of the Lord’s supper. We hear this sound at every observance.

This sound. You may think me odd to like it. It is the sound after communion is over. It is the sound of the communion cups being set down in the pews.

As a child, the communion cups were made of glass and hand washed by the deacons. This made a loud sound when the glass and the wood connected. The communion cups of modern times are plastic. They make a quieter sound.

What does this sound mean to me?

It means the unity of the body of believers, obeying the Lord’s command to “Do this in remembrance of me.” Luke 22:19
It means remembering the body and the blood, that the penalty has been paid. “It is finished.” John 19:30
It means looking for His return. “…you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes.” 1 Cor 11:26
It means living the joyful life He came to give us all. “I have come that they may have life and have it in abundance.” John 10:10

What does it mean for you?

2 comments:

Erica said...

funny..I was thinking of that very same thing this past Sunday, from my "back row Baptist" seat!!!! (from the mommy who doesn't arrive 1/2 hour early enough to drop off allll the kids in the nursery...)

Mrs. Jones said...

How beautiful that is, Lisa!!!!! SO REFRESHING!!!!